Cosmetics are substances or products used to boost or alter the appearance of the face or fragrance and texture of the body. Many cosmetics are designed for the use of applying to the face and body. They’re usually mixtures of chemical compounds; some being derived from pure sources (reminiscent of coconut oil), and many artificial or synthetic. Cosmetics which might be applied to the face to enhance one’s look are often referred to as makeup or make-up. Everyday makeup objects embody lipstick, mascara, eye shadow, foundation, blush, and bronzer. Different everyday cosmetics embody skin cleansers, body lotions, shampoo and conditioner, hair styling products (gel, hair spray, and so forth.), perfume and cologne.
In the US, the Food and Drug Administration-FDA, which regulates cosmetics, defines cosmetics as “are applied to the human body for beautifying, cleansing, looking attractive, or altering the looks without affecting the physique’s structure or features.” This broad definition consists of any materials meant to be used as a component of a beauty product. The FDA notably excludes pure soap from this class.
Cosmetics are in use over thousands of years.
Egyptian men and women used make-up to enhance their look. They have been very fond of eyeliner and eyeshadows in darkish colors together with blue, red, and black.
Ancient Sumerian men and women have been presumably the first to invent and put on lipstick, about 5,000 years in the past. They used to crush gemstones and use them to decorate their faces, mainly on the lips and across the eyes.
Additionally, around 3000 BC to 1500 BC, girls within the ancient Indus Valley Civilization applied red tinted lipstick on their lips for face decoration. Ancient Egyptians also used to extract red dye from fucus-algin, 0.01% iodine, and a few bromine mannite, however, this dye resulted in severe sickness. Lipsticks with shimmering results had been initially made utilizing a pearlescent substance present in fish scales, that are nonetheless used extensively at present. Six thousand-year-old relics of the hollowed out tombs of the Ancient Egyptian pharaohs are found.
Based on one source, the main early developments include:
• Kohl was used in ancient Egypt as a protectant of the eye.
• Castor oil utilized by ancient Egypt as a protective balm.
• Skin creams manufactured from beeswax, olive oil, and rose water, described by Romans.
• Vaseline and lanolin within the nineteenth century.
Types of cosmetics or make-up
Cosmetics products are mainly intended for the face and eyes but it also consists products for the whole body. Below are the various types of cosmetics:
- Foundation- It is the base for starting the make-up. It is used for smoothening the face and getting rid of any acne, dark spots or blemishes. It is a creamy liquid that covers the pores to make the skin smooth.
- Face powder- It sets the foundation to give it a matte finish instead of a liquid or dewy look.
- Rouge, blusher or blush- It colors the cheeks to provide a more defined look for the
- Lipsticks- Lipsticks are liquid or gel colors which are used to give the lips a tinted color to highlight the lips boldly.
- Highlight- The eyebrows, cheekbones, nose, upper lip and the collar bones are the highest points of the face a Highlighter adds a glow to these points to draw attention. It comes in cream, liquid and also powder form. It is a little shimmery in appearance.
- Bronzer- It gives the skin a bit of color, and at the same time contours the face for a sharp definition.
- Mascara- The eyelashes are the work field for a mascara. It lengthens, thickens, and darkens the eyelashes to look more attractive.
- Eye shadow- It is powder which is pigmented or a substance used to highlight the upper area of the eye. Different colors can be used, mixed and blended with each other to create a new color for the eyeshadow.
- Eye Liner- It is used to elongate the natural size an appearance of the eyelids. It comes is different forms namely gel, pen or liquid form.
- Eyebrow pencils- These pencils are used to draw and shape the eyebrows in alignment with each other. It can also be used to give it a sharper angle.
- Nail polish– It is color coating for the nails of the fingers and toes. It consists of different colors and can be colorless. It is available in liquid matte or gloss.
- Setting spray- The last step in the process of applying make-up is the setting spray. To keep the already applied make-up intact, a setting spray is used.
The recent trends and market growth in the cosmetics industry
The latest trends in the world of cosmetics industry are the usage of premium products. The premium cosmetics market is anticipated to grow to USD 160 billion by 2022. The premium cosmetics phase accounted for greater than 23% of the worldwide beauty and personal care market in 2017.
Technavio’s market research identifies the introduction of revolutionary ingredients and technologies as one of many key traits that can result in the expansion of the probiotics beauty products market within the coming years. The market research analysts estimate that this market will develop steadily at a CAGR of just about 8% by 2022.
Key players in the cosmetics industry
• Estée Lauder
• Protor and Gamble
• Johnson & Johnson
• Amore pacific
• Kao corporation
Cosmetics are used to enhance your look. Make-up has been around for a lot of centuries. The first recognized individuals who used cosmetics to enhance their beauty had been the Egyptians. Make-up those days was simply easy eye coloring or some materials for the body. Nowadays, make-up plays an essential role in both women and men. That is right; even men are becoming more beauty conscious and are concerned about their looks. Cosmetics might be produced within the organic and hypoallergenic form to satisfy the demands of customers. Make-up is used as a beauty aid to assist in build-up the self-esteem and confidence of a person. Cosmetics are available at present in the type of lotions, lipstick, perfumes, eye shadows, nail polishes, hair sprays, and many others. Importance of cosmetics has increased as many individuals wish to stay younger and attractive.
1. What is the meaning of cosmetics?
Cosmetics are substances or products used to boost or alter the appearance of the face or fragrance and texture of the body.
2. Do cosmetic products and make-up have a history?
Cosmetics and make-up are in use over thousands of years.
3. What are the different types of cosmetics products?
Foundation, face powder, blush, highlighter, concealer, eyeshadows, eyeliners, kohl etc.
4. Are cosmetic products and make-up trending?
Yes. Make-up trends are a current craze all over the world.